Chromebook / Mobile Hotspot Policy
The Tehama County Library offers Chromebooks for use in the library. To use the Chromebook, you can sign in with your Google account, or sign in as a library guest. Web apps install in seconds, load instantly, and update automatically. There are no software applications on the Chromebook.
- Chromebooks / Mobile Hotspots may be checked out at the Circulation Desk on a first-come, first served basis. A current Tehama County Library Card is required each time a Chromebook or Mobile Hotspot is checked out.
- The loan period for a Chromebook or Mobile Hotspot is three (3) weeks. Patrons can renew the Chromebook or Mobile Hotspot one (1) time for an additional three (3) weeks.
- Headphones or earbuds are required to be used when accessing sites or using applications which emit sound within the library.
- Borrowers are asked to immediately report any hardware or software problems to library staff.
- Please keep the Chromebook or Mobile Hotspot with you at all times.
- Borrowers agree not to display, download, access or transmit any obscene, explicit, graphic, offensive, or illegal materials, with loaned equipment. Borrowers agree not to interfere with the performance of the Library’s computer network, tamper with or reconfigure Library computer hardware or software.
- Any technical problems encountered with devices other than the mobile hotspot (e.g. tablets, laptops, cell phones) are the responsibility of the patron. The library is not responsible for any loss of data or information the user might encounter through their own personal devices.
- Currently, devices must be checked out and returned at the front counter of the library. Devices should never be placed in the book drop as this will cause damage. Any patron who returns a hotspot through the book drop could face fines or be barred from borrowing again in the future.
Chromebook / Mobile Hotspot users Liability
Staff will inspect each Chromebook or Mobile Hotspot prior to and after patron use.
Patrons are responsible for any changes in condition while in their care and for replacement costs for damage, loss, or theft of a Chromebook or Mobile Hotspot or headphones/earbuds (please refer to the replacement costs listed at the end of this document).
The Library is not responsible for damage to removable storage devices, lost or corrupted files, or viruses and other malicious software transferred to removable storage devices. The Chromebook hardware/software is designed to prevent personal information from being accessed by others; however, once the borrower has finished using the device, the Library makes no claims, promises, or guarantees that personal information will be inaccessible or kept confidential. Further, the library makes no warranty of any kind, implied, expressed, statutory, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose as to the use of the Chromebook, Mobile Hotspot, or network equipment and disclaims all liability.
The replacement cost will be up to but will not exceed $250.00
The replacement cost will be up to but will not exceed $50.00 for mobile hotspots.